Five Great Walks in Sligo
Sligo, located on the west coast of Ireland, is a beautiful destination with stunning landscapes and plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities. If you enjoy walking and hiking, Sligo has a range of trails that offer breathtaking views and a chance to immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the region. Here are the top 5 walks in Sligo:
- Knocknarea: This iconic hill located just outside Sligo town is a must-visit for any walker. The trail takes you up to the summit where you’ll find the Queen Maeve’s cairn, a prehistoric tomb believed to be over 5,000 years old. The panoramic views of Sligo Bay and the surrounding countryside from the top are simply stunning.
- Benbulben: Another iconic landmark of Sligo, Benbulben is a majestic mountain that dominates the skyline of the county. The trail to the summit is challenging but rewarding, with breathtaking views of the coast and countryside.
- Gleniff Horseshoe: This scenic drive located in the north of the county is also a great place for a walk. The horseshoe-shaped valley is surrounded by majestic cliffs and provides a beautiful backdrop for a leisurely stroll.
- Slish Wood: This tranquil woodland located near Lough Gill offers a peaceful escape from the hustle and bustle of daily life. The walk through the forest takes you along the shore of the lake and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
- Strandhill Beach: If you’re looking for a walk with a view of the Atlantic Ocean, Strandhill Beach is the perfect destination. The long sandy beach provides a great opportunity for a leisurely stroll or a brisk walk, with the waves crashing on the shore providing a relaxing soundtrack.
Sligo is a paradise for walkers and hikers, with plenty of trails that offer stunning views and a chance to connect with nature. Whether you’re looking for a challenging mountain hike or a leisurely stroll along the beach, Sligo has something for everyone. So, put on your walking boots and explore the beauty of Sligo!
Read more about Sligo walks here